Peace of Mind 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Premium Products Designed to Last
Unrivalled Service Nationwide Coverage
Safety & Security Experts Trusted Since 1999

How to reduce risk of electrical socket fires in your home or office

As mentioned in our last article, faulty socket inserts can cause electrical fires. But electrical fires can happen in other ways; here are a few and how to deal with them.

Extension Leads

Extension leads are not designed to accommodate multiple appliances that are beyond its’ wattage capacity. And they aren’t designed to be used long – term at all! Older extension leads should be replaced and you should be sure to check out the capacities of new ones to ensure you don’t overload the extension lead, as this will lead to overheating, which can cause a fire.

Faulty Socket

A faulty socket can be a major risk. If it is not grounded correctly, a fire can happen very easily and quickly. Ensure your sockets are not displaying signs of wear and tear, such as a burning smell when plugging implements in or appliances becoming very hot after exposure to the socket.

Old Wiring/Appliances

Electrically speaking, old homes often don’t have the requisite infrastructure to accommodate your fancy new electrical appliances, and this can cause them to overheat. Likewise, be careful with vice versa; old appliances plugged into new infrastructure as they may not have the wattage limits that their modern counterparts do.

In conclusion, a lot of this comes down to good common sense and vigilance. While it is true that the best way to control your socket use is to limit access to it, it is not the only way to ensure you stay Socket-safe.

Cardea Solutions